Friday, November 23, 2007
  • Tameka Kee, November 23, 2007, 2:30 PM
  • Deconstructing Microsoft's Lofty Search Goals StraightUpSearch

    Microsoft's plans to vault to a much higher spot in terms of online advertising have been heavily covered in the trade and mainstream press as of late.

    Mike K outlines the software giant's four-step "10, 20, 30, 40" plan, which is based on increasing page views on MSN-owned sites to 10%, increasing total minutes spent on MSN-owned sites to 20% (of time spent online overall), pumping up Live Search's search share to 30% and snagging 40% of all online advertising dollars. Then he poses reasons why the latter two goals may be unattainable.

    For search, ...Read the whole story...

  • Oodles Of Upgrades To Classified Search Search Engine Watch

    Oodle, the classifieds search engine, has upgraded its search functionality, from allowing users to search listings "in context" by using market trend data, to building semantics features into the engine that understand abbreviatons like SF for San Francisco. The upgrades also include new advertising opportunities like premium placement ads and a partner distribution network.

    Faith Sedlin, the company's co-founder and vice president of marketing, calls it "Oodle 2.0," and notes that the changes focus on simplifying the search process, enabling users to store info on their previous searches, and give them all the info they need within the ...Read the whole story...

  • Page Not Found: A Tribute To The 404 Error Message Squareoak

    Moving pages around during a site redesign can be tricky, and while most Webmasters are urged to use 301 redirects (to keep both users and search engine spiders from getting stranded) -- sometimes hard stops like the infamous 404 "Page Not Found" message can't be avoided.

    But does a 404 page have to be dull, bland and boring? Not according to Brendan Picha, President of Squareoak Media, a search firm. Picha wanted to create a custom 404 message for a client's site, so he searched the Web looking for inspiration. What he found was a wealth of ...Read the whole story...

  • An Example Of How Not To Combat Click Fraud Jennifer Slegg

    While click fraud is an ongoing problem with PPC, Jennifer Slegg stumbled upon an example of one site owner's misguided attempt at combating it.

    A Canadian moving company chose to use an automated service to detect (and deter) fraudulent clicks, but the system was unable to differentiate between real customers and bots or scammers. Visitors that had arrived by clicking on a specific AdWords ad were redirected to a custom landing page -- one that accused them of click fraud and threatened legal action.

    The error has since been corrected, but Slegg's in-depth post details ...Read the whole story...

  • 8 'Auxiliary' Paid Search Options Search Engine Journal

    What's a search marketer to do when she's exhausted all of her likely keyword options on Google, Yahoo, MSN and even Ask -- and the client still has more money to burn? Loren Baker suggests trying one of these 8 alternative paid search engines.

    From straight PPC providers MIVA and 7Search, to the newer, "more social" offerings like Facebook Ads and MySpace SelfServe Ads, these services can expand the reach of a paid search campaign -- exposing it to a different audience and typically at a lower cost-per-click.

    Baker notes that the social newcomers have ...Read the whole story...