Although still losing ground,
Nickelodeon narrowed its ratings declines in the key November demo versus previous periods. At the same time, other big kids TV networks had mixed results.
After months of losing 20% to 30% or more in kids TV viewers, Nickelodeon lost 4% in its Nielsen total day viewership to 1.84 million. In the key advertising selling 6-11 demo, Nick dropped 12% to 481,000 versus a year ago in November. Nickelodeon launched a new version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" this fall, which earned good viewership.
Disney Channel was in second place in total day viewers, slipping 7% in total day viewership to 1.65 million viewers. But Disney remains tops in the total day 6-11 demo, with 608,000 viewers. This was down 7% from November 2011.
Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network fared better than Nickelodeon and Disney year-to-year. It grew 1% in total day viewers to 1.11 million in November and just slipped 1% to 344,000 in the 6-11 viewer group.
Other bigger improving channels include boys-centric channel, Disney XD, which grew 26% in total day overall viewers to 381,000. In the 6-11 viewer group, it rose 31% to 168,000. Younger-kids skewing channel Sprout also gained 8% in total viewers to 169,000, and improved 5% to 20,000 6-11 viewers. Discovery Communications/Hasbro's The Hub was up 13% to 126,000 total day viewers and 9% higher in 25,000 in 6-11 viewers.
Other decliners: Nicktoons, down 29% to 149,000 total day viewers; TeenNick, off 18% to 117,000. Bigger and older-kids/young adult channels Adult Swim and Nick at Nite lost some ground. Adult Swim was down 3% to 1.221 million; Nick at Nite, 12% lower to 1.039 million.