CBS' Moonves: Current Scatter, Retrans Up, C7 Is Future Ratings

by , Dec 4, 2012, 5:05 PM
  • Comment
  • Recommend
Subscribe to MediaDailyNews

Les-Moonves-B2How soon for a new TV currency? Maybe by mid-2014, according to CBS' Les Moonves.

Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corp., was asked at a UBS Media conference on Tuesday when a move would occur to extend or change the current Nielsen C3, commercial live ratings plus three days of time-shifted viewing, to C7, commercial live ratings plus seven days of time-shifted viewing.

"I think we'll have C7 in a year and a half," he says. C3 ratings are current TV currency for TV advertisers when striking deals with national TV networks.

Moonves reiterated his claim about the lower value of morning-after TV ratings, which tend to get much of the business and consumer press. "The overnight [ratings] are less significant than they ever were," he says. "It's an easy scorecard." For example, CBS' rookie drama "Elementary" only gets about 60% of its viewing live -- and most of it with older viewers. But the remaining 40% of its viewership comes from time-shifting.

Current scatter TV pricing for CBS is at mid-to-high teens percentage price increases over the upfront deals the network struck in June 2012 -- where Moonves said CBS grabbed 9% price hikes over the previous upfront advertising market in 2011.

Subscription video on demand (SVOD) services like Netflix continue to make a bigger impact for networks like CBS -- but the network remains paramount to the company.

"First priority is network advertising; second is syndication; third is retransmission. Fourth is SVOD," says Moonves. "We will not jeopardize the [first] three."

Still, fresher content is heading the way to companies like Netflix. "There will be more new content that goes into that deal," he says. Netflix initially did a two-year deal for older TV library product with CBS.

Moonves says Netflix has asked, in some cases, for CBS to replace some content with other TV shows. Newer "CSI: Miami" content has found its way onto Netflix. Down the road, Moonves says the network might consider working into older seasons of a big show for Netflix, like the first 11 seasons of the original "CSI."

But CBS isn't in a rush. "As all the new technology comes out, we do not have to be first."

Although CBS has long been an ad-centric company when it comes to revenue, Moonves says other revenue areas have grown dramatically: "We are getting paid in so many different ways that weren't on the table three years ago."

CBS' retrans revenue is now headed to $1 billion in 2017, from zero three years ago, and international revenue now at $1.1 billion from $400 million four years ago.  "We are getting hundreds of millions of dollars from the Netflixs and the Amazons," he notes.

CBS will be getting a substantial special programming lift in the first-quarter 2013: the AFC Championships, the Grammys and the Super Bowl. All that will propel the network to higher viewership levels for the rest of the year.

Be the first to comment on "CBS' Moonves: Current Scatter, Retrans Up, C7 Is Future Ratings"

Leave a Comment

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now

Recent MediaDailyNews Articles

>> MediaDailyNews Archives