Why Didn't We Think Of That? Top Products 2013
Product of the Year USA has released the 2013 list of top products based on consumer vote. The yearly list of CPG products, a ranking that began in France about 26 years ago and is in its fifth year in the U.S., is based on an online poll of 50,000 consumers executed by Kantar's TNS division.
There are 27 winners delineated by category. Brands had to enter products last April, with the caveat that entries have to be innovative in function, design, packaging or ingredients. The organization says today’s average shopper is spending more time than ever researching approximately 10 different sources of info online before committing to an in-store purchase.
"It's interesting to see categories that were never here before," says Colleen Kelly, consumer packaged goods expert and managing director of Product of the Year USA. "Nestle Crunch with Girl Scout cookies is a good example. It's an example of something that makes you wonder why nobody thought of that [before]."
She tells Marketing Daily that health and ecologically friendly products were an innovation theme this year for some categories. "There was lots of food innovation, where manufacturers are making healthier foods, like General Mills' Green Giant's Season Steamers, and ecologically friendly products like SodaStream."
Here's a list of the winners by category:
* Laundry Packs – All Mighty Pacs – Sun Products Corp.
* Oral Care – Aquafresh Extreme Clean Pure Breath Action Paste – GlaxoSmithKline
* Fruit Products - Dole Frozen Fruit Single-serve Cups – Dole Packaged Foods
* Vegetable – Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic – Pinnacle Foods
* Children’s Products – Goodnights Disposable Bed Mats – Kimberly Clark Corp.
* Frozen Smoothie – Dole Fruit Smoothie Shakers – Dole Packaged
* Snacks – M&M’s Brand Snack Mix – Mars Chocolate North America, LLC
* Stain Removal – Resolve All-Stains – Reckitt Benckiser
* Home Appliance – SodaStream Revolution Home Soda Maker – SodaStream USA
* Liquid Laundry – Surf Liquid Laundry Detergent – Sun Products Corp.
* OTC Relief – Tums Freshers - GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
* Nestle Crunch Girl Scout candy bars
* Brawny Paper Towels
* Off Bug Control Back Yard Pre-Treat
* Poise Wellness Line
* Dial Triple Moisture Body Wash
* Adams Smart Shield applicator
* Quaker Real Medleys Oatmeal
* Listerine UltraClean Mouthwash
* Abreva Conceal (cold sore patch)
* Green Giant Seasoned Steamers
* New Dixie Ultra
* Finish Quantum (bleach)
* Healthy Choice Baked Entrees
* SK Energy Shots
* MidNite For Menopause
* Quilted Northern Ultra Plush
Kelly says winning products often use the "Product of the Year" logo on advertising, packaging and social media because it's something consumers can connect more naturally with than rankings they perceive as more esoteric. "It's been proven again and again that the consumer stamp of approval boosts sales," she says. People are 40% more likely to believe an ad showing the 'Product of the Year' endorsement because it's based on votes by people like them. I think that's what's different."