What Advertisers And Content Providers Need To Understand About Human Behavior
A survey released on Monday showed that most people are ignorant about the way the Internet works. That wasn't exactly what it said, of course. Conducted by marketing company Gfk and reported on by my MediaPost colleague Wendy Davis, what the survey actually said was that only 35% of people agree with the statement, "I use free services online and on smartphones/tablets and don't mind if my data is potentially also used for advertising purposes." Reports like these have been coming out since our Cro-Magnon ancestors sat in a cave, fired up a computer, and logged on to the first ...» 3 Comments
The Coming Subprime Advertising Crisis
The subprime crisis of 2008 surprised a lot of people. But looking back, we are almost as mad at ourselves for not seeing it coming as we were at those who created the crisis. Media, specifically advertising, is about to go through a very similar period, and we are going to be just as angry looking back. In addition, unlike (perhaps) Wall Street, we are not too big to fail.» 17 Comments
The Inevitability Of Viewability Should Be Driven By The Agency Buyer
The IAB and the MRC are both leading the charge for viewability in display advertising, but the only way this initiative will take hold and work is if media-buying agencies get on board. As I've written in the past, the opposite of viewability, which is the current state of affairs in display, undermines the very fabric of the online display ecosystem. Advertisers are paying for billions of impressions that nobody will ever see, and these drive down performance as well as price (if there's no perceived value, then why pay a premium?). Brand marketers should be furious, but instead they're ...» 5 Comments
The End Of Advertising
Have you ever heard of CONANDA? For those of you who answered that it was America's neighbor to the North, you're an idiot. CONANDA is actually The Brazilian Ministry of Human Rights' Council of Rights of Children and Teenagers, which earlier this month issued a resolution effectively banning all advertising to children under age 12 and imposing restrictions on campaigns aimed at 12- to 18-year-olds.» 5 Comments
Industry Comes Together To Discuss Future; TV Is Completely Absent
Earlier this week I attended the Festival of Media Global in Rome, Italy, where I chaired all the sessions in a conference room aptly called "Pantheon."» 4 Comments
How To Design For All Of Humanity, According to Facebook's Head Of Product
Facebook has rolled out a design update, and, if the comments in my News Feed are anything to go by, it's the end of the world. The new layout is awful. The fonts are atrocious. We want the old look back. In short, we've reacted the way we react to every Facebook design update. We are nothing if not entirely predictable.» 1 Comments
Consumers May Be In Control, But Marketers Are, Too
As a marketer who works in the area of marketing technology, I demand transparency from my partners and I think you should too. As more and more marketers seek to gain control over the technology at their disposal, there is a clear shift away from the black box solutions and one towards transparency in all areas.» 0 Comments
Your Twitter Ads Are Irrelevant? C'mon Marketers, We're Better Than That
A recent study asserted that only 17% of users found Twitter ads to be relevant. Wait a second, my math skills are limited -- but that means the other 83% of these ads are, gulp, irrelevant.Here we have a powerful social platform, serving relevant information to millions of interconnected people daily, and somehow we marketers can't seem to get right messages to the right people at the right time.» 9 Comments
The Next Big Thing Will Most Likely Not Be Made In America
It is fair to say that we pay pretty close attention to Silicon Valley and Alley. Perhaps we are even a little obsessed. Sure, the Valley/Alley matters. But they also represent only one slice of the digital innovation pie. A hefty slice, but there is a lot more! For example: the Silicon Roundabout in London, "Tech City;" Berlin's innovation hub in the Kreuzberg area; and Tel Aviv's Silicon Wadi.» 3 Comments
Mozilla's Eich Reveals Diminishing Boundary Between Beliefs And Business
In the face of a major backlash about his 2008 contribution to California's Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage, Brendan Eich has resigned as CEO of Mozilla -- less than a week after taking the reins. Eich has, of course, the right to free speech, the right to hold any beliefs he wishes, and the right to shout those beliefs from the top of the highest mountain. But as he found out, the free market also has rights: the right to voice its collective displeasure, the right to vote with its purchasing dollars, and the ability -- if passionate enough ...» 3 Comments
« Previous Entries