Mazda North American Operations and USA Today Sports are partnering around the USA Today Sports Active Alliance, a network of independent marathons.
The alliance is a platform designed to promote the endurance running market. It allows races to maintain their independence and unique regionalism while linking major cities' marathons, offering scale, reach and unprecedented promotion via the USA Today network.
Mazda has had past sports affiliations revolving around running, cycling, baseball, football, basketball, hockey and many others, from sponsorship or full-scale onsite activation such as the USA Today partnership. The automaker previously sponsored the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series, which is now sponsored by Toyota.
“When considering partnerships, Mazda looks for the best way to fit organically into our customer’s’ lives and passion points,” Russell Wager, vice president of marketing, Mazda North American Operations, tells Marketing Daily. “Our research shows that our customers and owners carry out an active lifestyle and particularly take to such activities as running, cycling and travel. The partnership allows Mazda to engage with our audience, highlight how our vehicles fit within their active lifestyle and support them in their passion of running.”
Mazda’s presenting sponsorship includes the following USA Today Sports Active Alliance’s marathons:• Eversource Hartford Marathon (Hartford, Conn.)
• Portland Marathon (Portland, Ore.)
• California International Marathon (Sacramento, Calif.)
• Rite-Aid Cleveland Marathon (Cleveland, Ohio)
• GO! St. Louis Marathon (St. Louis, Mo.)
• Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (Indianapolis, Ind.)
• Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon (Champaign-Urbana, Ill.)
• Novant Health Charlotte Marathon (Charlotte, N.C.)
• US Bank OC Marathon (Orange County, Calif.)
• Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon (Oklahoma City, Okla.)
• South Padre Island Marathon (South Padre Island, Tex.)
• Baltimore Running Festival (Baltimore, Md.)
• Oakland Running Festival (Oakland, Calif.)
• Utah Valley Marathon (Provo, Utah)
• Santa Rosa Marathon (Santa Rosa, Calif.)
The USA Today Sports Active Alliance is designed to allow marketers to navigate media, marketing and sponsorship opportunities through one centralized source. Races within the alliance receive visibility from a national platform and benefit from the media resources and assets held by USA Today Sports and the USA Today Network, as well as parent company Gannett Co.