President Trump will not be allowed to post to his accounts on Facebook or Instagram for at least the next two weeks, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Thursday morning.
“The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden,” Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post. “We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great.”
On Wednesday, after a violent mob of Trump supporters stormed Capitol Hill, Facebook said it was locking Trump's accounts for at least 24 hours.
Twitter also locked Trump's account for at least 12 hours, starting Wednesday afternoon, and said it took down three of his tweets. By Thursday evening, the Twitter account had been restored.
YouTube as well removed one of Trump's videos on Wednesday.
Other social media companies to block Trump include Snap and Amazon's Twitch.
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Virginia) on Thursday called the recent moves by Facebook, Twitter and YouTube “long-belated,” adding they were “both too late and not nearly enough.”
“Disinformation and extremism researchers have for years pointed to broader network-based exploitation of these platforms,” Warner stated.
Thursday afternoon, Michelle Obama added her voice to a growing roster of people calling for tech companies to ban Trump for good.
“Now is the time for Silicon Valley companies to stop enabling this monstrous behavior -- and go even further than they have already by permanently banning this man from their platforms and putting in place policies to prevent their technology from being used by the nation's leaders to fuel insurrection," she stated.
This story was updated to reflect that Twitter restored Trump's access to his account on Thursday evening.