Mobile Searchers Even Search At Home
Overwhelmingly, satisfaction and adoption of mobile search holds true throughout the study:
- 75% said mobile search makes their lives easier
- 63% said access to mobile search has changed the way they gather information
- 32% said they use mobile search more than search engines on their computers
81% of respondents reported evening use of mobile search at home, 80% reported weekend use, and 59% reported use before work. Another 61% reported using mobile search at work. 66% of respondents also reported at least occasional use of mobile search while watching TV, with 45% using the computer while mobile searching.
Additional significant mobile search usage included:
- 47% while commuting
- 56% while attending social events
- 74% while running errands
Daina Middleton, CEO of Performics, notes that "... this data proves that growing smart phone adoption is permeating all aspects of everyday life..."
In addition to the 49% who have made a mobile purchase in the last six months:
- 84% look for local retailer information (phone, address, hours)
- 82% find online retailers
- 73% find a specific manufacturer or product Website
- 71% learn about a product or service after seeing an ad
- 68% find the best price for a product or service
- 63% search before purchasing offline in a store or from a catalog
The study also explores differences in mobile search adoption and use across 12 top product categories, including apparel, appliances, automotive, CPG, electronics, financial services, travel and more.
For additional information and access to a complimentary copy of the 2011 Mobile Search Insights Study's key findings, please visit here.