A new whitepaper from Juniper Research predicts that recessionary conditions will possibly have an adverse impact on smartphone and tablet sales, particularly in the case of unsubsidised devices. Given the extent to which smartphones have already become a near “must-have” device, says the report, the impact will be less significant than for tablets, where it may well reduce the extent to which these devices penetrate the wider market.
Conversely, the reduction in average purchasing power could conceivably benefit players such as Amazon and ARCHOS, inasmuch as cash-strapped consumers may opt for the lower-priced Kindle Fire or an ARNOVA-branded device rather than the iPad, opines the report.
Here’s a list of the top ten wireless predictions, with each prediction explained in more detail in the complete whitepaper.
1. Recession Likely to Hit Smart Device Sales
2. London 2012 to Boost Mobile Advertising and M-Gambling, and Kickstart NFC
3. Mobile Coupons to Drive mCommerce Market Despite Economic Stagnation
4. 2012 – The Year of the Quad-Core Processor
5. Windows 8 OS to Fuel Nokia Revival & Disrupt Tablet Market
Please access the remaining five predictive trends from the whitepaper from Juniper Research, and to expand on all of the top ten mobile trends.
6. 2012 to see High Profile Malware Attacks on Mobile Devices
7. MEMs Accelerometers and Gyroscopes to Transform Sensor Market for Mobile Devices
8. Social Gaming to Become a Major Mobile Play with Introduction of Synchronous Gaming
9. Online, Mobile and Physical Will Begin to Fuse into One Retail Market
10. Cloud Mobility to Drive Collaborative Communications
For additional information from Juniper Research, and to access the complimentary whitepaper, please visit here.