Mobile Holiday Shoppers Comparing Prices

by , Nov 30, 2012, 6:15 AM
  • Comment
  • Recommend (1)
Subscribe to Research Brief

According to a recent analysis from Prosper Mobile Insights, 55.3% of Mobile Users plan to utilize a smartphone or tablet for holiday shopping this year to research, purchase, locate stores or assist with other shopping tasks. 61.9% of Mobile Holiday Shoppers say they will use their device primarily as a “mobile mall,” purchasing products and comparing prices. The other 38.1% will use mobile technology for organization, keeping gift lists and planning shopping trips.

It appears most of these tech-savvy shoppers, says the report, will use their “mobile malls” to compare prices between brick or click shops while browsing in-store, creating both opportunities and challenges for retailers dreaming to be in the black this holiday season.

Almost half of Mobile Holiday Shoppers will also tap into product reviews from their smartphone or tablet to help them decide what items to purchase:

Mobile Activities While Shopping In a Store this Holiday Season (Mobile Holiday Shoppers)

Activity

% of Respondents

Compare prices with another physical store

66.0%

Compare prices with an online retailer

59.7%

Read product reviews to decide between products

48.1%

“Check in” for a discount

40.3%

Scan a QR code to get more information about a product

39.9%

Request a price match

37.9%

Source: Prosper Mobile Insights, October 2012

Pam Goodfellow, Consumer Insights Director at BIGinsight, says “comparing prices and products between retailers (showrooming) is another... smart shopping strategy that consumers have adopted to keep... spending in check... retailers this holiday season (must) provide... value propositions they can’t resist... “

Digital devices will likely be hot items for mobile holiday shopping. The majority plans to research them using a smartphone or tablet while 2 in 5 plan to purchase electronics via mobile.

Top Holiday Gifts to Research and Purchase via Mobile (Mobile Holiday Shoppers)

Top Gifts to Research via Mobile

Gift

% of Respondents

Electronics

69.1%

Clothing or clothing accessories

50.4%

Books/CDs/DVDs/Blu-Ray/Video Games

45.7%

Toys

44.9%

Sporting Goods

29.7%

Top Gifts to Purchase via Mobile

Electronics

41.2%

Books/CDs/DVDs/Blu-Ray/Video Games

39.0%

Clothing or clothing accessories

36.7%

Toys

35.7%

Gift Cards

24.9%

Source: Prosper Mobile Insights, October 2012

Clothing, entertainment items and toys also top the mobile shopping list for searches and purchases, while 1 in 4 plan to buy gift cards using a smartphone or tablet.

Mobile Holiday Shoppers will likely take advantage of special pricing on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. 62% say they are somewhat or very likely to purchase products using a smartphone or tablet on each of these major shopping days.

The survey was collected from 10/24 - 10/29/12. 187 respondents were male while 146 were female, and the average age of the sample was 46. Margin of error is +/- 5.4%.

For additional information about the survey, please visit here.

Be the first to comment on "Mobile Holiday Shoppers Comparing Prices"

Leave a Comment

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now

Recent Research Brief Articles

» Research Brief Archives