- Report: Yahoo Formally Bids On Hulu
Yahoo has submitted a formal bid to acquire Hulu, according to a Reuters report citing two sources with knowledge of the proposal. If so, the Web portal joins other companies reportedly bidding for the premium video service including Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, former news Corp president Peter Chernin and Guggenheim Digital Media.
Earlier this month, AllThingsD reported Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer had met with top executives at Hulu in connection with a potential bid. Hulu’s owners-- owned by News Corp and Walt Disney Co--have been considering selling the company for some months. Yahoo’s other ...» 0 Comments
- Pandora Beats Q1 Revenue Estimate
Online radio service Pandora on Thursday reported revenue rose 55% in the first quarter to $126 million, topping analysts’ expectations.
The company’s net loss widened to $28.6 million, or 16 cents a share, compared to a loss of $20.2 million, or 12 cents a share, a year ago. On an adjusted basis, the loss was 10 cents a share, in line with the consensus forecast of analysts polled by FactSet.
Pandora’s quarterly revenue—which had been projected to reach $124 million—was bolstered by the addition of 700,00 net new paid subscribers, bringing the total to more than 2.5 ...» 0 Comments
- Looking for more offline data for marketers -- in a online world
A future big data grab for marketers -- and data companies -- is in collecting off-line data for advertisers.
As an industry, "we are just scratching the surface," says Chris Scoggins, senior vp and general manager, DLX Platform for Datalogix, in speaking on a OMMA Data Driven Marketing panel.
In this regard, Scoggins says many of clients he works with -- automotive and consumer products -- are changing their thinking. For those traditionally big TV marketers, "everyone now is a direct marketer."
Eoin Townsend, chief strategy officer of MediaMath, said: "There ...» 0 Comments
- Digital Diva Bradford To Helm S.F. Chronicle
- Digital media sales vet Joanne Bradford Joins has joined Hearst's San Francisco Chronicle as president. She most recently was Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer of Demand Media, and before that was Chief Media Officer at Microsoft's MSN. In a related move, Hearst named Jeffrey Johnson publisher of the Chronicle, succeeding Frank Vega, who retires from that position, but remains chairman of the publication. Johnson joins from operating partner at The Yucaipa Companies focusing on media investments.» 0 Comments
- Don't Believe The KPI Hype!
- Beware of baloney KPIs -- and Facebook "likes" in particular! So stressed experts on an afternoon panel at OMMA DDB. "They know [a 'like'] doesn't matter -- They know it!" said Jon Bond, "Chief Tomorroist" at quasi holding company Tomorro LLC, and Kirshenbaum and Bond co-founder. Regarding KPIs in general, Bond warned: "They're generic; they're non-strategic." For brands, how they make money should be unique, "customized" -- and, thus, lead to competitive advantages -- Bond emphasized. Using the same KPIs as everyone else makes that virtually impossible, he said. Moreover, just because you can measure something doesn't mean you should ...» 0 Comments
- Evidon: W3C's Effort To Forge Do-Not-Track Agreement Has 'Already Failed'
- The Internet standards group World Wide Web Consortium has been trying for two years to figure out how to interpret do-not-track signals sent by browsers.» 0 Comments
- How McCormick Spiced Up Web Presence
- If you're not aware, flavor company McCormick relaunched its Web site earlier this year. Trying to drive demand for its various spice, herb, and seasoning products, McCormick's site put the spotlight on food recipes. The result? The site experienced a 60% increase in "recipe views" year-over-year, according to Jennifer LaFrance, senior manager of digital marketing and social media at McCormick. Graciously, LaFrance told those in attendance at OMMA DDB that McCormick's digital agency, RGA, deserved more than a pinch of the credit. And, McCormick could use all the exposure it can get considering the company rolled out 250 new products ...» 0 Comments
- Y&R, 90 Years Young, Digitally Celebrates In Times Square Today
- A 90-year old ad agency is using some new-fangled technology to celebrate today in real time via a digital billboard in New York's Times Square. WPP's Y&R turns 90 today. To commemorate the milestone the agency intends spark a social media conversation by inviting people around the world to post messages conveying what advertising means to them. They can do so via Twitter using the hash tag #advertisingis. The billboard will be live today from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Y&R is partnering with startup Hyperactivate to enhance the conversation. Hyperactivate has technology that captures the avatars from Twitter and ...» 0 Comments
- Experian Takes Universal View Of Data
Marcus Tewksbury, Global Vice President of Product Strategy, Experian Marketing Services, said the split between offline and online data and across channels is becoming a "more transparent view." Understanding the customer from things like summarized credit information or other variables, “we’re looking at making that information seamless or frictionless from how you’re going to deploy it from a marketing purpose,” he said. W. Bryan Smith, director, data science and analytics, at Sapient pointed out that from an internal perspective, merging online and offline data, isn’t necessarily so easy. ...» 0 Comments
- Properly Valuing Data
- How do you come up with the right campaign metric for measuring success? "Does it impact your relationship with long term customers?" asked Marcus Tewksbury, Global Vice President of Product Strategy at Experian Marketing Services. If not, then forget it, Tewksbury told OMMA DDB attendees on Thursday. Tewksbury also addressed how data should be valued more broadly. "Data is based on perceived value," he said -- a somewhat less scientific, quantifiable explanation than we were expecting. Another problem with differentiating good data from bad -- at least for those in attendance at OMM DDB -- is that the more valuable ...» 0 Comments