- Duane Reade Window Salutes Broadway
- In what it's calling a first-of-its-kind promotion, Nexxus Salon Hair Care has created a window display honoring Broadway, in the Duane Reade location across from Radio City Music Hall. Created by Simon Doonan, best known for his over-the-top window extravaganzas for Barneys New York, the display features a glamorous woman presenting a Tony award, with her hair constructed entirely from Nexxus bottles, and her dress made from Tony Award posters.» 0 Comments
- Yahoo Adds Tweets To News Feed
Yahoo will incorporate selected tweets into the news feed on its redesigned home page through a new partnership between the Web portal and the microblogging service.
“As users explore our nearly endless stream of content, we will seamlessly include relevant and personalized Tweets alongside stories from Yahoo! and our other sources. With this greater breadth of compelling content, we’re excited to give our users even moreopportunities to learn and connect,” stated Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, in a blog post today.
- Android On 75% of Smartphones Shipped In Q1
Android ran on three quarters of the smartphones shipped in the first quarter, up from 59% a year ago, according to new data released by research firm IDC today. iOS was a distant second, at 17.3%, followed by Windows Phone (3.2%), BlackBerry (2.9%) and Linux (1%).
Windows Phone more than doubled its shipments to 7 million in the quarter, pushing the Microsoft platform past BlackBerry into the No. 3 spot for the first time. IDC senior research analyst Kevin Restivo said the gains help validate the approach taken by Microsoft and hardware partner Nokia.
But the ...» 0 Comments
- Facebook's Comm. Head Yu Leaves For Startup
Larry Yu, Facebook’s director of communications for the last five years, is leaving the social networking giant to join startup The Pranama Collective. In a Facebook post today announcing his departure, Yu called the company “a project-focused communications consultancy that works with cool companies.”
TechCrunch, which first reported Yu’s move, noted The Pranama Collective was launched this spring by Brandee Parker, who led Facebook PR from 2006 to 2008, Brian O’Shaugnessy, who previously led communications at Skype, and Sean Garrett, former PR head at Twitter. With Yu, it adds another high-profile figure toward becoming ...» 0 Comments
- Kaplan Succeeds Sheehan As CEO Of Hill Holiday
- Mike Sheehan is stepping down as CEO of Interpublic's Hill Holiday and is being succeeded by Karen Kaplan. Kaplan, a 30-year vet of the Boston-based agency, had been president. Sheehan will move into the role of chairman.» 0 Comments
- Kaplan To CEO At Hill Holliday
- Karen Kaplan, president of Interpublic Group's Boston-based Hill Holliday has been promoted to CEO, the agency confirmed Monday morning. Kaplan succeeds Mike Sheehan, who has been in the role for a decade, having succeeded agency co-founder Jack Connors. Sheehan will assume the role of chairman of the agency, a post he's expected to hold for two years before exiting the agency. Kaplan has been the heir apparent since 2007 when Sheehan promoted her promoted her to president. Kaplan has spent her entire professional career at HH. She joined the agency 1982 as a receptionist, billed as "something to do before ...» 0 Comments
- Millennial Media Expands To Japan
Mobile ad network Millennial Media on Monday announced expanding operations to Japan with the opening of a new office in Tokyo. Heading the office is John Greiner, previously president of MonkeyPaw Games, who has 18 years experience in the Japanese market.
Millennial, which launched a Singapore office in 2011, said the move into Japan was a natural step as it looks to work with brands, agencies and developers across Asia. Its international presence also includes an EMEA headquarters in London, as well as offices in Paris, Hamburg and Jakarta.
- Facebook Home Gets Update, Hits 1M Downloads
Facebook on Thursday released a new version of Facebook Home, its software overlay for Android phones. The update was rolled out along with a new Facebook app for Android in the Google Play store.
Receiving less than enthusiastic reviews following its launch last month, Home has been installed on Android devices 1 million times to date, according to Facebook. Meanwhile, HTC has slashed the price on the HTC First—which served as a showcase device for Facebook Home—from $99 to 99 cents.
In contrast to the HTC One, the First was ...» 0 Comments
- JCPenney: "Wait, It Gets Worse!"
- While J. C. Penney Company isn't scheduled to release its fiscal first-quarter earnings until May 16, the news is looking sufficiently bad that it's issued a heads-up to investors. The Plano, Tex.-based retailer says that a preliminary accounting shows that first quarter sales sank 16.4% to $2.635 billion, based on a 16.6% tumble in comparable-store sales. In its fiscal fourth quarter report, released in late February, comparable-store sales fell 32%. By early April, it had fired CEO Ron Johnson.» 0 Comments
- Verve Mobile Hires CRO, Sales Staff
Verve Mobile has named James Smith as chief revenue officer, overseeing all sales and marketing functions for the location-focused mobile ad network. Prior to joining Verve, Smith was CRO for Warner Bros. Entertainment digital properties Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes. Before that, he held the same position at the Huffington Post.