Results for February 2013
- Facebook: Will Content Replace Ads?
- Facebook Thursday said the company intends to acquire Microsoft's ad serving platform Atlas. In a statement on Microsoft's blog detailing the reasons behind the sale, Tom Phillips, senior director of communications, Microsoft Advertising, explains how Microsoft doesn't believe digital advertising has lived up to its promise.» 0 Comments
- HP Hits 1M Followers On LinkedIn
HP may no longer be the brightest light in Silicon Valley, but it’s become the first company to reach 1 million followers on LinkedIn.
The computer giant says its million followers are in turn connected to 43 million people on LinkedIn, or roughly a quarter of the professional network’s 200 million users. How did HP do it?
In a blog post today, Nick Besbeas, VP marketing, at Linked points to factors including posts by HP CEO Meg Whitman as part of the “Influencer” blog network set up last year on the site. Beyond Whitman’s star power, HP also used ...» 0 Comments
- Gardiner Departs Deutsch
- Well-regarded media agency veteran Peter Gardiner, partner and chief media officer at Interpublic's full-service Deutsch agency, is departing the shop effective today, the agency confirmed. He's been with the shop since 2000. Gardiner said he is involved with several media and tech startups with which he plans to get more active with details to follow in the coming weeks. Deutsch NY CEO Val DiFebo credited Gardiner with helping to grow Deutsch's media offering "at a time when many agencies were unbundling their media operations. He was an important part of the agency's success."» 0 Comments
- Nook Sales Drop 26% In Latest Quarter
Barnes & Noble on Thursday reported a net loss for its fiscal third quarter as sales in its Nook business, consisting of devices and digital content, fell 26% to $316 million .
The country’s largest bookstore chain posted a net loss of $6.1 million, or 18 cents a share for the quarter ended December 26, compared to a profit of $52 million, or 71 cents a year ago. Revenue fell 9% to $2.23 billion. Analysts had project a decline to $2.4 billion.
Barnes & Noble had warned of disappointing Nook results earlier this month weaker than expected sales of ...» 0 Comments
- Jumptap Hires New CFO
Mobile ad network Jumptap has named Brian Cohen as its new chief financial officer. Cohen most recently served as CFO of software maker DynamicOps, acquired last year by VMWare. Before that, he had been CFO of security software firm Q1 Labs, acquired by IBM in 2011. He began his career at PricewaterhouseCoopers.
The company on Thursday also announced hiring former BrightRoll executive Lewis Rothkopf as SVP, partnerships network development and publisher acquisition. He has previously held senior management roles and NBC Universal and DoubleClick.
Cohen will be based in Jumptap’s Boston headquarters and Rothkopf in its New York City office. ...» 0 Comments
- AdRoll: FBX Campaigns Had 16X ROI
Following up on data it released last week on advertising results on the Facebook Exchange (FBX), AdRoll today provided further finding relating to return on investment from campaigns on the re-targeting platform.
Among other things, the study of 468 advertisers that ran both standard Web retargeting and FBX campaigns during the last six months of 2012 found FBX delivered lower CPMs and CPCs while Web retargeting led to higher click-through rates. The firm concluded the two methods of retargeting were complementary.
- Facebook Taps Third-Party Data Firms To Target Customers
Facebook on Wednesday announced it will begin allowing marketers to work with third-party data providers to better target ads through its Custom Audiences tool for retargeting existing customers on the site by uploading their email address or phone numbers.
Datalogix, Epsilon, Acxiom and BlueKai are the outside data providers Facebook will let marketers partner with to run Custom Audiences ads. Businesses that already work with any of these companies can now use the same information they’ve used elsewhere to create campaigns on Facebook.
Facebook said it would also work with the data companies to create pre-defined categories ...» 0 Comments
- Appeals Court Allows Facebook's Beacon Settlement To Go Forward
- Handing a victory to Facebook, a divided federal appellate court has decided against hearing additional arguments challenging the company's $9.5 million Beacon settlement.» 0 Comments
- Instagram Hits 100M Monthly Active Users
Instagram today announced hitting 100 million monthly active users, less than a month after reaching 90 million. The milestone follows a controversy that erupted in December after the New York Post reported the photo-sharing app had lost about a quarter of its daily active users in the wake of its terms-of-service debacle.
Instagram-owner Facebook called the data “inaccurate,” maintaining it continued to see steady growth both in registered and active users of Instagram. Facebook subsequently cut off public access to the daily user data used in the Post story.
Instagram is the third highest-ranked Android app and the ...» 0 Comments
- Horizon Media Wins Njoy E-cigarette Account
- Electronic cigarette marketer Njoy has selected Horizon Media for media and planning duties after a review, the client has confirmed. The scope of work includes traditional, digital, social and mobile. Electronic cigarettes do not have the same government imposed ad restrictions (such as the nearly 40-year ban on TV ads) because they are not tobacco products although they do contain nicotine. In fact, Njoy kicked off a new campaign in December for its Njoy King brand that includes TV, print, social media, in-store, and events. The New York Times estimated that the company would spend up to $14 million on ...» 1 Comments