Kids, Do You Know Where Your Mothers Are?
According to a recent report from Digital Marketing Services, Inc., a subsidiary of America Online, mothers who are online in the US spend an average of 16 hours and 52 minutes online per week, whereas teenagers spend an average of 12 hours and 17 minutes each week. In particular, the study ranked the US markets according to the amount of time online moms in that area spend online. Charleston, South Carolina has moms who spend the longest amount of time online (21 hours, 8 minutes) and mothers in Tampa, Florida came in a close second place with 20 hours, 58 minutes online.
Top Ten US Markets According to Time Mothers Spend Online per Week, April 2002
- Charleston, SC
- Tampa, FL
- Nashville, TN
- Charlotte, NC
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Sacremento, CA
- Milwaukee, WI
- Boston, MA
- Cincinnati, OH
Most Popular Online Activities for US Mothers
April 2002 (% of respondents)
- Communications (e-mail, instant messaging) - 97%
- Getting news and current events information - 93%
- Getting local information (shopping, entertainment, directions) - 90%
- Getting health information - 88%
- Researching products and services - 83%
- Visiting kid/family sites with children - 80%
- Searching for discounts or coupons - 80%
In May 2001 Jupiter Media Metrix determined that 52% of mothers had spent more than $100 online in a past three-month time frame. And, according to The Media Audit, between 1998 and 2001 the number of working mothers going online grew by 43%.
Read more here.