• Striking A Chord With The 1% This Holiday Season
    America's most affluent - the 1% - are entering the holiday season feeling pretty good about themselves. According to the Time Inc./YouGov Survey of Affluence and Wealth, they are awash in cash and have little, if any, debt. Compared to the other 99% of American income earners, they are mostly immune to the effects of higher taxes and fees for services such as healthcare.
  • How Brands Can Master The Art Of Affluent Engagement Marketing
    On a recent business trip to Las Vegas, I was greeted by the the hotel desk attendant with an enthusiastic, "Welcome back." The preferred treatment continued when I called guest services and was asked if I'd like to order the same meal I had last time I visited. I was getting the red carpet treatment, even though I had only visited once, eight months earlier.
  • Affluents And Their Five Senses
    For decades, some marketers to affluent consumers (adults 18+ in age living in households with household incomes of $75,000 or more - the top 44% of American adults by household incomes) have been aware of the potential value of appealing to more than what consumers see or hear, as the typical affluent consumer has five senses that can be targeted: sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. Recently, the topic has also been attracting attention in the business news. For example, the March 2015 Harvard Business Review focused on the five senses in its "Science of Sensory Marketing" report, and the ...
  • What Financial Services Can Learn From Luxury Marketing
    For an industry that targets the wealthy, Financial Service marketing, while well-crafted and professional, does not always connect with their target.
  • Do Affluents Care About The Wealth Gap?
    A hot potato in the Presidential election cycle is the issue of Income Inequality and the Wealth Gap. Though it's been simmering for some time, it comes into focus when confronted with the data points. The richest 1% of Americans make 20% of the income. The wealthiest 160,000 families have as much as the poorest 145 million families combined. And, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, since the recession began in 2007, spending power for middle income families has diminished while Affluent spending power has increased. It's likely these numbers - and the emotion behind them - will be repeated ...
  • Expanding The Pie By Exploring New Qualifiers In Affluent Auto Marketing
    If you ask auto marketers who they'd like their ads to reach, they'll likely say consumers who are in the market and ready to purchase. Each marketer may have different financial thresholds for their potential customers depending on the car model they're marketing, but for the most part, auto marketing is unique in that it focuses exclusively on in-market consumers who have declared that they intend to buy a car.
  • Inspiring Luxury Purchasers: The Agile Advantage
    Perhaps more than for any other retail demographic, inspiration is a key motivator of the affluent audience. Luxury purchasers don't necessarily have a clear vision of what they want. They often react to the larger picture.
  • The Affluent Generations Really Differ In Their Holiday Shopping Plans
    It's early November, and affluent shoppers are really starting to shop for the holidays. By the time the turkeys are on the table on Thanksgiving Day, the majority of all affluents (72 million of the 99 million adults living in households with household incomes of $75,000 or more) will have started their holiday shopping, according to what they told us in our most recent survey.
  • The Conundrum With Clout, Part 3
    Boomers are truly a mixed bag. Millennials either love 'em or hate 'em. With 86 million millennials as the soon-to-be biggest buyers of luxury products and 80 million boomers who currently hold the power and the purse strings corporately and are still the biggest buyers of luxury products and services, a deeper appreciation of their ethic and biases by the millennials and the differences between the two generations is essential.
  • Helping To Overcome Audience Fatigue In Affluent Travel Marketing
    One of the biggest challenges travel marketers face is that the typical affluent audience pool is fairly finite. Much of marketers' efforts go toward addressing consumers who have traveled in the past and are assumed to have the financial capacity to do so again. While these may be valuable indicators of future purchases, they may also apply to a very small group of consumers. In all likelihood, this is a group that receives multiple competing offers throughout the year, helping ensure they've almost become immune to travel advertising.
« Previous Entries Next Entries »