Around the Net

Disney: YouTube Take-Down Policy Not Enough

  • Reuters, Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:30 AM
Anne Sweeney, Disney's head of entertainment and news television, said she sees limits to how long Disney will put up with the illegal use of copyrights on YouTube, Google's online video sharing site.

YouTube's takedown policy is simply not enough, she said, adding that Disney and YouTube need to hold more talks about how to resolve the situation. "It's not efficient, and I think there is a larger conversation to be had. But this is the world we are living in," Sweeney said.

YouTube's defense has traditionally been the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which protects Web sites from liability related to user-generated copyright infringement--as long as the site complies with requests to take the material down.

Sweeney doesn't know what Disney plans to do in terms of litigation if the matter isn't properly resolved, but she said the companies have not held talks about a revenue-share licensing deal similar to the ones YouTube forged with several record companies last month.

advertisement

advertisement

Read the whole story at Reuters »

Next story loading loading..