Even as the controversy surrounding Roger Clemens intensifies, the pitcher plans to attend an ESPN-sponsored event at Disney World later this month. Representatives for Clemens late last week informed
ESPN that he will stick to his scheduled promotional appearance over the weekend of Feb. 29-March 2.
Clemens was scheduled to serve as a top draw at "ESPN The Weekend" before the
Mitchell Report was released in December that alleged he had used steroids multiple times--and the network began running an on-air spot promoting it. But the day the report came out, ESPN pulled the
humorous ad, citing Clemens' role in a controversial news story.
Since then, as Clemens has waged a high-profile campaign maintaining his innocence and prepares to go before Congress on
Wednesday, ESPN did not ask him to back out of his paid promotional appearance at Disney, an ESPN representative said Friday.
"Each decision was an independent decision and there are different
factors that go into each ... in the case of him attending, we're obviously interested in having him and he's expressed that he's interested in attending," said ESPN's Josh Krulewitz, who declined to
offer more details.
advertisement
advertisement
While Clemens' presence at the family-friendly "ESPN The Weekend" might stand in contrast to the allegations surrounding him, it could also spur interest and attendance at the
event.
Krulewitz said it's uncertain what Clemens' "itinerary" will be in Orlando. Athletes often appear on ESPN shows that are broadcast live from Disney, and participate in motorcades and Q&As
with fans. "ESPN The Weekend" is billed as an opportunity for fans to "get up close and personal with star athletes."
The 45-year-old Clemens and football star Donovan McNabb have been tabbed the
headliners as "athlete hosts," while some two dozen other marquee names are scheduled to attend. The fourth-annual event is a cross-promotional effort between the network and Disney World, which share
the same owner, and is sponsored by Dick's Sporting Goods.
Calls to representatives for Clemens and Dick's Sporting Goods were not immediately returned on Friday.
Clemens dominated headlines
over the weekend as he readies for a high-profile Congressional hearing Wednesday. The former trainer alleged to have provided him with steroids--who will also testify Wednesday--said he has syringes
and other paraphernalia with Clemens' DNA and that he injected the pitcher's wife with human growth hormone.
The tongue-in-cheek spot promoting Clemens at "ESPN The Weekend" ran for only a
limited time before it was pulled Dec. 13 as the Mitchell Report examining performance-enhancing drugs in baseball was released.
Clemens was shown nervously pondering whether to ride a Disney
roller coaster. "I can't do this," he said. "I'm too old. I don't have what it takes anymore." Then, the ad shifted to a shot of Clemens and his son strapped into their seats, and the potential Hall
of Famer drew inspiration from his on-field accomplishments.
"I've got seven Cy Young Awards...struck out 20 in a game twice," he said. "I've won over 350 games."
The roller coaster then
whisked away and the spot focused on details of the "Weekend."