In its first raid on Publicis' Starcom MediaVest Group since former MediaVest Managing Director Richard Beaven took its helm two years ago, Initiative has recruited a top executive from his former shop. The move comes as Beaven's two-year non-compete has expired.
The raid, meanwhile, signals a reorganization of Initiative's print media operations, which will now be headed by Carolyn Dubi, who on Thursday was named senior vice president-director of print, reporting to Initiative U.S. President Tim Spengler.
Dubi, who had been vice president-North America Planning Director for Starcom MediaVest Group, and head of the Publicis shop's Samsung account, will become Initiative's top print media buyer and will oversee the shop's print media strategy and negotiations with publishers.
As part of the reorganization, long-time Initiative print maven Beth Fidoten will report to Dubi.
In a statement, Dubi said she was excited to partner with Fidoten, who would continue to play a vital role in the agency's print buying operations, and elsewhere. An agency spokesman said Fidoten's exact role has yet to be determined.
Meanwhile, the assault on Publicis' Starcom MediaVest unit comes at a time when Initiative has been growing fast, winning new business, and is known to be in the market to recruit a number of senior executive positions.