Grocery retailers and fast-food chains earned the highest scores in this year’s Temkin Experience Ratings, which examine customer experience across 19 industries.
The annual ratings, which this year included 246 companies, are based on 10,000 consumers rating (in a seven-point scale) three components of their experience with companies: functional, accessible and emotional. Scores 80% and above are defined as excellent; scores between 70% and 79% are good; scores between 60% and 69% are “okay”; scores 50% to 59% are poor; and scores below 50% are very poor.
The leaders – meaning those with the highest scores across all industries -- include Publix (84%); Trader Joe’s (83%); Aldi and Chick-fil-A (tied at 82%); Amazon.com and Sam’s Club (tied at 81%); and H-E-B, Dunkin’ Donuts, Save-A-Lot, Sonic Drive-in, Little Caesar’s and Ace Hardware, all tied at 80%.
Bottom-ranking companies were dominated by health plans and TV services. Cox Communications, Humana, CareFirst (BCBS), Charter Communications, AT&T (TV service), Blue Shield of California and Health Net all tied at 51%. Charter Communications, Highmark (Blue Cross Blue Shield) and Medicaid tied at 50%. 21st Century insurance and Empire (BCBS) tied at 49%; and Days Inn and Time Warner Cable at 48%. US Airways came in dead last, at 45%.
Here are the top-/bottom-ranked companies within specific industries:
* Airlines: Alaska and Southwest tied at 68%/US Airways bottom (45%)
* Appliance maker: Electrolux 65%/Toshiba and LG tied at 55%
* Auto dealer: Toyota 71%/Kia 58%
* Bank: credit unions 79%/HSBC 57%
* Computer maker: Apple 64%/Lenovo, Sony tied at 54%
* Credit card issuer: USAA and American Express tied at 70%/HSBC 54%
* Fast-food chain: Chick-fil-A 82%/KFC 67%
* Grocery retailer: Publix 84%/Stop & Shop 73%
* Health plan: TriCare 71%/Empire 49%
* Hotel chain: Marriott 75%/Days Inn 48%
* Insurance carrier: USAA 77%/21st Century 49%
* Internet service provider: AOL 65%/Charter Communications 51%
* Investment firm: Charles Schwab 74%/Morgan Stanley Smith Barney 54%
* Parcel delivery service: FedEx 75%/U.S. Postal Service 73%
Rental car agency: Advantage 71%/Budget, Alamo and Dollar tied at 52%
* Retailer: Amazon.com, Sam’s Club tied at 81%/RadioShack 58%
* Software firm: Google 67%/McAfee 54%
* TV service provider: Bright House Networks, Dish Network/EcoStar tied at 60%/Time Warner Cable 48%
* Wireless carrier: TracFone 66%/T-Mobile 56%
Of the 18 industries that were in both this year’s and last year’s ratings, 11 earned higher scores in 2013. Wireless carriers improved the most, while appliances declined the most.
More information is available at ExperienceMatters.wordpress.com.