Consumers are eagerly gearing up for Amazon Prime Day on October 13-14 -- but not all of them, according to a study by Allocadia.
While there has been a 5% increase in the number of expected participants YoY, 46% plan to skip it.
But 80% of 35- to-44 year-olds and 77% of those 65 and over plan to shop.
Surprisingly, 81% of the latter cohort did not participate in 2019, showing that COVID-19 may be affecting shopping patterns.
Gen Zers, meanwhile, are drawn to virtual events.
Five psychological triggers are motivating purchases:
- Retail therapy, or “shopper’s high.”
- Competition — The thrill of buying something in short supply.
- Escapism — To fight boredom.
- Shopping momentum — The consumer has already started, and it’s hard to stop.
- Perceived value — The motivation of saving money. surveyed
Allocadia surveyed 1,000 U.S. consumers.