Campari America has inked its first national U.S. sports sponsorship in a multiyear deal that makes its Cabo Wabo brand the first official tequila sponsor of NASCAR as the racing association celebrates its 75thanniversary.
Cabo Wabo also becomes the official tequila of NASCAR-owned Daytona International Speedway, Kansas Speedway, Michigan International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway.
The brand will make its NASCAR debut Feb. 5 at the annual Busch Light Clash at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum followed two weeks later by the DAYTONA 500.
Cabo Wabo’s on-site activations will include branded bars, sampling and concert sponsorships.
To encourage responsible drinking at NASCAR events, the brand will offer hydration in the form of a “Make the Pitstop” onsite experience featuring complimentary water and co-branded, reusable water bottles.
“When we looked at the connection between our audience and the NASCAR audience, it was a match made in heaven,” Campari America vice president of marketing Andrea Sengara tells Marketing Daily.
“Cabo Wabo’s reputation for doing things bigger, bolder and better perfectly aligns with the spirit of our sport,” NASCAR SVP and chief sales officer Jeff Wohlschlaeger said in a news release.
The deal comes as tequila is the fastest growing U.S. category in distilled spirits—with dollar sales up 9.6% in 2022, according to NielsenIQ.
Italy based Gruppo Campari acquired 80% of Cabo Wabo Tequilas in 2008 from rock star Sammy Hagar of Van Halen fame for $80 million, and the remaining 20% in 2010 for $11 million.
At the time, Campari said Hagar would remain involved in supporting the business, but Sengara says “he is no longer actively involved with the brand.”