Email marketing has become top of mind for executives during the COVID-19 pandemic, judging by the number of companies that are replacing their tools.
Email distribution solutions were changed by 23% of companies -- second only to marketing automation platforms, which were swapped by 24%, according to the Martech Replacement Survey 2021, a recent study by Martech.
Email was tied with CRM. In contrast, only 6% of firms replaced email in 2019.
Overall, 67% of the brands polled changed applications in the past year.
But it isn’t clear how much of an impact COVID-19 had — 48% said it was a factor in their decision to replace solutions in general. The remaining 52% did not.
That makes it probably that some investments in new capabilities were planned prior to the pandemic.
Other solution changes included:
Why did they want to change? Here’s why they sought to upgrade homegrown applications:
Here are the results for those that replaced commercial applications:
The reasons for changing commercial offerings were somewhat different in 2019:
Drilling down, the study determined that data capabilities lead the reasons for switching:
This year, upgrades were by marketing management in 39% of the cases, and by executive management in 30%. Only 12% were led by marketing operations, 11% by marketing staff, 8% by IT and 1% by sales.
In 2019, 43% of the changes were driven by marketing management, 25% by executive management, 18% by marketing operations, 7% by IT and 6% by marketing staff.
How long did it take? The changes were under consideration for:
These stats reflect a definite acceleration. In 2019, the upgrades were considered for:
Martech surveyed 374 marketers in April and May of this year.