• Mirror CEO On Digital Gains: 'We Have Further To Travel'
    Trinity Mirror chief executive Simon Fox said the company wants to emulate Guardian News and Media's achievement in making up for declining print revenue through its digital business. Speaking to Press Gazette after the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People publisher's half-year results were published this week, Fox stood by the group's decision to keep its news content free online. Trinity Mirror's websites saw increased traffic in the first half of the year, with a 36.9% rise in monthly unique users compared to the same time last year.
  • BBC World News Launches HD Feed In Middle East
    The distribution deal will allow audiences across the Middle East to watch BBC World News coverage in HD, including coverage of global issues, international news, documentaries, entertainment and arts programming. Arabsat will be the BBC's first distribution partner in the Middle East to offer the channel in HD.
  • Many Boycott Twitter In Protest Against Abusive Tweets
    The historian Mary Beard has become the latest woman to receive a tweeted bomb threat, sent on the eve of a boycott by many users of Twitter in protest at the site's slow response to dealing with violent and obscene threats. Although many users stayed off the site, the hashtags #Twittersilence and #connectwithrespect were trending, with many comments like David Howell's: "Time spent enjoying @wmarybeard on twitter is time well spend. Time saved by ignoring idiots is time well saved," and others pointing out that both women and men have been the victims of vitriolic abuse.
  • TalkSPORT Moves Into US Via Dial Global Deal
    TalkSPORT has signed a deal with American independent national audio media company Dial Global for its live football coverage, extending into the US market. The agreement sees Dial Global gain football coverage of Barclays Premier League, FA Cup and Capital One Cup games, including play-by-play commentary of nearly 400 matches, in both English and Spanish, on a soon to be announced platform.
  • Kantar Media, Twitter In TV Analytics Alliance
    Audience measurement specialist Kantar Media has teamed up with Twitter to develop a new tools for TV planning and analytics in the UK. Under the alliance, both the firms will work together to provide detailed analytics data for UK broadcasters and media agencies, expected to be available by 2014. Kantar said the tools will allow broadcasters to assess programmes and series, plan promotions and assist media buyers and sellers to integrate social data more comprehensively with TV.
  • Guardian To Launch Dedicated Online Video Channel
    The Guardian has struck a deal with Dailymotion, the world's second largest video-sharing website, to increase the reach of the publisher's growing portfolio of video news and features. Guardian News & Media, the parent company of the Guardian and Observer newspapers, is to launch a dedicated online video channel that will be available to Dailymotion's 112 million regular users.
  • Daily Mirror Mad To Hoover Up Sun Readers
    The Daily Mirror has unveiled an aggressive campaign to capitalise on arch-rival the Sun moving behind a digital paywall, in a bid to hoover up as many as 27 million users who are likely to defect in search of free news websites. Simon Fox, the chief executive of parent company Trinity Mirror, said the Daily Mirror is running a prominent campaign on the Mirror.co.uk home page with the line "The best things in life are free" to appeal to disaffected Sun website users.
  • Underground Commuters To Get Live Ashes Coverage
    CBS Outdoor UK is to bring cricket fans in London up to the minute scores and text commentary from The Ashes using its digital screens on the London Underground. With The Ashes returning to Old Trafford for the first time since 2005 Cross-Track Projection (XTP) screens will be used to bring match updates throughout the five days of play.
  • Female Journalists Get Twitter Bomb Threats
    Police have launched an investigation into bomb threats made to female journalists on Twitter. Guardian columnist Hadley Freeman, Independent columnist Grace Dent and Europe editor of Time magazine, Catherine Mayer, have all received the tweet from anonymous user @98JU98U989 that read: "A BOMB HAS BEEN PLACED OUTSIDE YOUR HOME. IT WILL GO OFF AT EXACTLY 10.47PM ON A TIMER AND TRIGGER DESTROYING EVERYTHING."
  • Germany Can't Make Google Pay For Headlines
    It's back to the drawing board for German lawmakers as their attempt to force Google into paying to show news headlines has come up short. Despite passing acontroversial law last year to force the US search giant to pay copyright fees, Google's plan to get around the law appears to be working. As the AP reports, major German news outlets like Spiegel Online have chosen to opt in and receive exposure from Google News rather than sit on the sidelines.
« Previous EntriesNext Entries »