Some of the numbers associated with the Internet of Things
They range from the millions to billions to trillions.
Earlier this week, I aggregated many of the percentages around the IoT, as I wrote about here (The Internet of Things by the Percentages).
While many of the percentages,
especially around growth, are huge, they hardly compare to the sheer numbers, either by units or dollars.
So here for your edification are some of the numbers around the Internet of Things,
with the source of each:
- $125 – Gold price point for an IoT connected Device (YouGov)
- 24 million – Number of wristware devices that will be shipped this year
- 85 million – Number of wristware devices that will be shipped in four years (IDC)
- $103 million – Company IoT budget within three years (Tata Consulting
- 172 million – Number of wearables that will be sold in three years (CCS Insight)
- 197 million – Wearables to be shipped within five years (Tractica)
- 223 million – Number of connected devices in the so-called white-goods market within five years (IHS Home Appliance Intelligence Service)
- 400 million – Number of beacons
projected to be in the marketplace within five years (ABI Research)
- 466 million – Worldwide market for sensors in four years (IHS Technology)
- 700 million – Number of
addressable, smart connected home-appliances within five years (IHS Home Appliance Intelligence Service)
- $670 million – Will be spent by retailers this year for hardware and
installation costs related to the IoT (Juniper Research)
- $2.5 billion – Amount retailers will spend on hardware and installation costs related to the IoT (Juniper Research)
- $3 billion – The amount IBM said it will invest in the Internet of Things (IBM)
- 13 billion – Number of connected devices installed this year (Juniper Research)
billion – Things that will be connected to the Internet within five years (IC Insights)
- 30 billion – Number of connected devices in 2020 (IDC)
- 39 billion – Number
of IoT devices that will be installed within five years (Juniper Research)
- $300 billion – IoT opportunity in revenue and costs savings in five years (Juniper Research)
trillion – Internet of Things market size by 2020 (IDC)
- $8 trillion – Value that the Internet of Things will generate over the next decade (Cisco, DHL)
some of these projections are off by some percentage, the direction of the IoT market is pretty clear.