Results for February 2008

The Right Size For 'Quarterlife'
t's the TV programming version of a whiplash: NBC's "Quarterlife." First it was on MySpace, then MTV, then NBC, and now onto Bravo --all in the space of what seems like a week. That's the quick life of an Internet darling.» 0 Comments
Network Integration Fee Woes: If It Itches, Scratch It
The weirdness about the joint ANA/AAAA survey concerning the long-term problem of network integration fees isn't about the 87% who believe those fees are unfair and out of date. It's the mystery about the other 13%. Do they seemingly not care -- or, stranger still, are they in favor of those integration fees?» 0 Comments
No Academy Country For Broadcast TV Networks
The Oscars had the lowest ratings in its history -- thanks to the broadcast's focus on a bunch of critically favored, but barely seen, theatrical movies . With that in mind, perhaps it's time for ABC to grab the rights to the Spirit Awards.» 0 Comments
Your TV Fantasy Teams Need Help
Like the Phoenix Suns, the Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks, it's time to shake up TV's starting lineup. And that means some big trades.» 0 Comments
Should The Networks Look To The Minors (Cable) For Hits?
Networks should keep to their promise: fewer development deals, and even fewer pilots. The alternative? Do what any other big-league team with a long-term vision does -- pick your best prospects from the minor leagues. It's the cable networks: USA Network, TNT, FX, etc.» 0 Comments
Oscars Test TV Season; Fewer Big Movies Big Factor
The Oscars, the big award show, will be looking for an upset award from viewers in this strike-tarred season. If ratings slip, you can certainly blame viewer malaise courtesy of the writers' strike. But also point a finger at those small, relatively unknown movies that now typically dominate the Academy Awards.» 0 Comments
NBC Looking For Good Programming Crop -- Even If It Takes All Year
For its upfront season, NBC want to develop some good vintage grapes. The grapes are the programs. NBC, by all accounts, will look for fertile ground, offering up its fall schedule with solid programming weeks before any other network.» 0 Comments
NBC Is Upfront About Its Upfront: It Wants Different, Smaller Talks With Clients
Making good on its promise to offer up an alternative to the typical upfront presentations process, NBC said it will have client-centric specific meetings, an early April programming presentation, and what it calls, a "spotlight" event -- complete with after-party -- the second week in May. After-party? Sounds a lot like an upfront presentation to me.» 0 Comments
Brick-And-Mortar Retailers Clear Up Toshiba's HD-DVD Picture
If Wal-Mart says no, you must take your HD-DVD and go. Toshiba is giving up its war against Sony's Blu-Ray efforts because of Wal-Mart's decision, as well as NetFlix's and Best Buy's -- to abandon HD-DVD in favor of the Blu-Ray technology for those high definition DVDs.» 0 Comments
Post-Strike TV Scenario: Programming Malaise Where You Least Expect It
Watching TV brings happiness, grief, and general malaise this year. Now with the writers' strike over, we can all hope for anything but continued melancholy. Still, there are the signs. "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" didn't miss a beat. During the writers' strike, Leno kept his lead over Letterman and the rest with guests including Larry the Cable Guy and plenty of cute and strange animals. Letterman had real writers, we are told -- and it made no difference.» 0 Comments
« Previous Entries