Match Group on Friday withdrew its request for a temporary restraining order against Google, which it has accused of unfair monopoly power in its mobile app marketplace. The disagreement focuses on in-app payments.
The antitrust lawsuit against Google that Match filed earlier this month focused on the company’s restrictions on Android in-app payments, which drive app users toward mobile. The company filed the temporary restraining order after suing Google.
Match -- the company behind Tinder, OkCupid and Match.com -- withdrew its request after Google made various concessions that Match Group demanded to benefit consumers, the company said.
The concessions include guaranteeing that Match Group apps can offer users choice in payment systems, reducing the undue burden on developers by its previously stated policy, and eliminating Google's complete control of user data.
In exchange for withdrawing the temporary restraining order, Google said it will not reject or remove Match Group apps from the Google Play Store because they offer alternatives to Google Play Billing.
Google will approve Match Group app updates that offer alternatives to Google Play Billing, continuing to provide users with the choice and optionality they have grown accustomed to.
Google will work -- in good faith -- to fix the deficiencies of Google Play Billing. When Google addresses these problems, Match Group apps that currently do not offer Google Play Billing will test Google's system on their platforms, alongside current payment systems.
The original suit -- filed on May 9 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California -- sought an “injunctive and other appropriate relief for the material, irreparable harm Google's manipulation of markets, broken promises, and abuse of power have caused (and continue to cause) Match Group and its customers.”