It may be the media industry's worst kept secret that a murky area of piracy persists -- streaming service subscribers sharing passwords with people who do not live in their households -- but a new consumer survey by the equity research team at Raymond James puts some dimension around it. While the national survey is self-reported, about a third (32%) of Americans now acknowledge the behavior.
Americans cite interpersonal communications as their top activity, Raymond James affirmed in a national survey. Email is cited by most (88%) Americans, while the consumption of over-the-top video programming (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) is indeed a primary activity (cited by 73% of respondents),
Facebook has passed a "substantial milestone" toward gaining industry accreditation for its "viewability pipeline measurement process," The Media Rating Council announced Monday afternoon. The MRC said it has completed its assessment of the component of the process controlled by Facebook, and that its audit committee has concluded that Facebook was "materially compliant" with the MRC's Minimum Standards for Media Research, as well as other applicable industry measurement guidelines.
Marketers are slightly less likely to bring their programmatic media-buying in-house than their agency counterparts perceive them to be, according to a new survey conducted by Advertiser Perceptions of Research Intelligencer. However, among those who have moved programmatic in-house, clients perceive a significantly higher share of their media billings handled in-house than agency executives do.
Industry execs by and large believe consumers should have sublime control over when, where, how and why their data is used to target them with advertising, content and other media. Those are the findings of a survey of industry execs -- both advertisers and agencies -- fielded by Advertiser Perceptions in October.
Most consumers consider themselves expert or very knowledgeable about how marketers use their personal data to influence them with ads, offers and other content, and an even bigger majority would want to manage who, when, where and why they use it. That's the finding of a survey of U.S. adults conducted recently by "Research Intelligencer" and Pollfish. The survey of 600 Americans 18+ found 53% of respondents consider themselves expert or very knowledgeable about the process, while another 25% say they are aware of it, but don't really understand it.
The U.S. holiday season is poised to be an economically joyous one, with total retail sales projected to surpass $1 trillion for the first time, according to estimates released today by eMarketer. This year's retail sales are projected to represent a 5.8% expansion over the holiday shopping season of 2017. Significantly, e-commerce sales are projected to expand at an even faster rate -- rising 16.6% to $123.7 billion -- and accounting for 12.3% of all holiday shopping sales.
When it comes to the ethical use of people's data, there is a market split between ad industry professionals and consumers. Asked how ethical it is to use people's identity, behavior or emotional data to target them subconsciously with ads, content and media, only 23% of advertisers and agency executives said it was somewhat or completely unethical vs. 57% of consumers, according to the results of two different surveys conducted recently on behalf of Research Intelligencer.
Even though the bulk of their schedules consist of other types of programming, several ad-supported cable networks have been extremely effective in branding themselves with original scripted drama. Some other cable networks have tried integrating occasional original dramas into their lineups with limited success. In this week's report, I analyze the brief history of ad-supported cable dramas.
If the past is prologue, TV will continue to be the main beneficiary of this year's holiday retail category spending. Based on an analysis of the $1.3 billion spent in 2017 by the top U.S. retailers by Kantar Media and Pathmatics, TV accounted for nearly two-thirds (62%) of holiday ad budgets. "Digital" is the next biggest category, representing 21% of retail ad spending, but if you combine it with Facebook (6%), total digital accounts for 27% of all holiday ad spending. Print, Radio and "other" divide the rest of the pie.