NBC is seeking an overall plan of 10% pullback. Fox is initially targeting less clutter on its Sunday-night animated programming, just two TV commercials per advertising pod. This will work its way into other programming later in the year.
"It will be a new form of entertainment," says Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, citing possible efforts in and around stadiums, arenas and ballparks. "It is going to improve our [TV] ratings."
While TV networks work in messages for their upfront presentations about brand safety and viewability, it seems like a good time to take a deeper look at the competition.
Even adding up other cable TV network news' programming sources, it would be tough to get to the 91% number. And what about the other 9%? No surprise here: Trump didn't have any Nielsen measurement links included to sustain his claim.
Rising revenues that come to traditional TV-based media companies as retrans/subscription revenue and content sales, movies, TV and other businesses are iffy. So what's the best argument for consolidation?
OK, Netflix, take a look around you. The ad-supported social media platform Facebook is mulling: an ad-free subscription. So... might you think of going in the other direction?
Google local media revenue -- search and local advertising on YouTube -- is now at $19 billion, according to BIA Advisory Services -- virtually the same number that local TV stations pulled collectively in local advertising.
Who's at fault? Pay TV providers blame TV stations; TV stations blame TV providers.
Social media may be taxing, but in the TV landscape for young consumers, there is no fear of missing out.
There is an opportunity for traditional TV network companies to work with ad-supported digital media players -- including other social media players like Twitter.